7.20.2007

Cultural Evolution?

I am developing a rant on the preservation, propagation and generation of American culture. A tirade about accessibility, provocation, and subversion. A rant about art as the mirror mirror on the wall. A rant that ties together the brand-blandness megacorporate capitalism to the bare-shelved flatline of communism, and the place of boutique experience in a culture that fakes freedom of choice.



How to incite Evolution? How to start the seismic shift ?

****

"When virtually all of a culture's celebrated figures are in sports or entertainment, how few possible role models we offer the young. There are so many other ways to lead a successful and meaningful life that are not denominated by money or fame. Adult life begins in a child's imagination, and we've relinquished that imagination to the marketplace. "

-- DANA GIOIA, chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110010352

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe, in addition to it being the artist's responsibility to bring culture back to common vocabulary, it's our responsibility to think about our audiences. Not think "who should I cater to?" but "Who do I want in the seats/climbing the walls/participating in this event?" I find that we (myself included) preach to the converted-- the already liberal, educated, upper middle class white person that already has a cultural vocabulary that matches mine. And what I'm interested in is reestablishing the theatre as vital to continuing social dialogue and commentary. This can only happen if the dialogue is encouraged to go farther than "Yeah. I agree." I think we need to create events that invite differing views and excite people to participate. We need to be asking more questions than presenting answers. And we have to remember to entertain while asking.

Anonymous said...

Oh-- and RE: the Diva. I recently started wearing skirts to rehearsals and classes. But they have to be the right kind of skirt-- like I have to be able to sit on the floor or run really fast in it.